Outdoor decks are popular places to gather, relax and entertain. But it can be a lot of work to keep your deck weatherproof and looking its best. If you hate the thought of weatherproofing your deck every year, or just don’t have the time, consider adding a pergola or enclosure to protect your deck from the elements. These structures will protect your deck from the elements and add some extra living space to your home. Plus, they can be very stylish additions that enhance your outdoor living area. So, if you’re looking to protect your deck with a pergola or other enclosure, this is the blog for you!
Whether you have a deck for summer barbeques or just for enjoying the view, you want to make sure it’s protected from the elements. A pergola can supply shade and keep your deck furniture dry, while a screen enclosure can protect it from wind and rain.
What options are there when it comes to covered decks?
There are a variety of options when it comes to covering your deck:
A pergola is a free standing, permanent structure, often described as a garden feature rather than an extension of your house. Usually featuring at least four posts, sometimes more, a pergola can be made in a range of styles. With the right design, materials and team, your pergola can become the centrepiece of your yard.
Patios tend to be an extension of the pre-existing building, most likely, your house. Due to them having to work with an existing structure, they’re a perfect project for a custom build. With a professional team on your side, you can create a new cover that will seamlessly blend into your house.
A Gazebo is similar to a pergola in the sense it is a separate entity not attached to another building. The difference is a gazebo tends to be more enclosed. You’ve probably seen gazebos in places like parks or botanical gardens.
Which is best for you will come down to what you’re trying to achieve and where. When in doubt, you can always talk with an expert about what is best for your property.
Advantages of a Covered Deck
- Prevents damage to your deck
All decking is vulnerable to wear and damage, especially if you don’t take any precautions. Depending on the material your deck is made from, it can be vulnerable to elements and various types of damage including:
- Water damage
No material is going to last forever, but the above issues can reduce your deck’s lifespan by years. Rot and mould especially can spread quickly and be difficult (not to mention expensive) to rectify.
- Prevents damage to you
At its best, Australia can offer some of the best weather in the world. However, we’ve got one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world as well. Extra shade means you can enjoy the sun while minimising your chances of a nasty sunburn or overexposure to UV rays.
- Adds shade to the rest of your home
The extra protection from the sun will help to cool down the rest of your home during those sweltering summer days. This leads to a more comfortable living environment which leads to using the air conditioning less. With energy prices continuously rising, cutting down on the electricity bills can only be a good thing.
- You can use your deck more often
Is there anything worse when you’ve got the snags sizzling away on the barbeque and you suddenly feel those first few drops of rain? With your new pergola, your days of rushing everything inside are over. No need to cancel that get-together with friends because of a little rain.
- Add value to your home
A well-designed pergola or enclosure can add value to your home, which is something to keep in mind for anyone looking to resell down the line. It will be feature potential buyers are sure to admire and will help you stand out from the competition.
When it comes to building a cover that best suits you, we recommend custom design. That way, everything can be tailored to your home, needs and taste.
Consider the rest of your home
While there are practical reasons for wanting to cover your deck, you’ll want a design that suits the architectural and stylistic elements of your home. Even if you’re building a covering that’s not attached to your house, you want it to look in tune with the rest of your home.
Find the right builder for the job
Unless you’ve got some building experience under your belt, a pergola or patio is a job best left to the professionals. Just some of the benefits of hiring a contractor include:
- Save time: Not only will you free up your own time, but a contractor will be able to complete a project in a fraction of the time of even the most enthusiastic DIYer
- They have the equipment: When building yourself, you may find yourself running down to Bunnings to buy tools and material you didn’t realise you’d need. A builder will have all the tools they need on hand.
- They’ve got the know-how: Not sure how to approach your new deck cover? An expert can help with design choices while also helping you stick to your budget.
- Experience on your side: Someone who builds patios and pergolas day in, and day out is going to have a few tricks up their sleeve. A lot of little things we would have to learn as we go will be second nature to a professional.
- Safer for you: Building a structure as big as a pergola requires a lot of labour and there is a lot of opportunities to injury yourself. Your builder will know the precautions to take and the health and safety measures to follow to avoid injury.
- You’ll end up with a quality product: With the right professional on your side, you’ll end up with a well-built, fantastic looking covered deck.
Building a pergola, patio, or other types of deck cover, will not only protect your decking from damage, but it will add value to your home. However, it’s a big project and for many people, hiring a professional is the way to go. Our team at Correct Constructions have the expertise and skills to help create the perfect cover for you. Locally owned and run, we have been providing carport solutions to Sydney locals for over 25 years. Click here to get in touch about protecting your deck and building the ideal patio or pergola for your home.