If you’ve been considering getting yourself a carport, you may be wondering if you need to hire a professional or whether this is a job you can do yourself?
In today’s article, we’re going to take a look at whether it is cheaper to build your own carport. We’ll also look at whether it’s better value for money to build your carport yourself or to hire a professional.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO BUILD A CARPORT?
When it comes to any type of construction or renovation, asking how much it’ll cost is like asking how long is a piece of string. It will depend on the specifics of your project.
4 factors that can influence price include:
- Do you want a single or double carport?
- What foundation are you working with? For example, does it need to be excavated?
- What materials are you planning to use?
- The overall style of the carport eg. flat or gable roof
As a rough guide, in Australia, a single carport will cost up to $10,000, a double carport up to $20,000. These are just average, and prices will vary on the specifics of your project.
You can buy carport kits for as little as $1,000, and they can go up to around $5,000. When buying a carport kit, triple check the fine print to make sure of what you’re getting. The last thing you want is to get home and realise you haven’t received the material or design you were expecting.
Keep in mind, the prices above are just for the kit. This doesn’t consider the cost of laying a foundation, tools, and labour.
Depending on where you live, you may need to gain permits and pay fees in order to build a carport. It’s always best to check these things before you begin a build, because finding out during or after you’ve built your carport will lead to all sorts of headaches.
You’ll need time up your sleeve if you’re planning to build the carport yourself. Depending on your skill level, this could take days, even weeks. If you consider yourself a beginner, hire a professional. This is a job that will require some experience to pull off successfully. For an inexperienced builder, this is a project that could easily become overwhelming and stressful.
Even if you’re a skilled home handy-person or have professional building experience, you’ll want a second person on hand to help, as building a carport is not a solo project.
DIY vs HIRING A PROFESSIONAL
Still on the fence about whether you build your own carport or hire a contractor to do the job? Let’s have a look at the pros of each approach so you can make an informed decision on which option is best for you.
Pros of building your own carport:
- Sense of accomplishment – It’s hard to deny one of the best things about completing a DIY project is the pride in a job well done.
- Learn new skills – For anyone who likes to pick up new skills, this is a chance to build upon existing abilities.
- Hands on approach – For those who have a specific vision and approach, and the know how to back it up, building a carport yourself will let you do everything exactly the way you want to.
- Potential to save money – This very much depends on your skill level and how smoothly the build goes.
Benefits to hiring a professional:
- Quicker – Without sugar-coating it, a professional is going to be able to build a carport in a fraction of the time of even a great, amateur DIY enthusiast. Why? Because this is what they do day in, day out and they often do in a few hours what it would take you days or weeks to achieve.
- Expertise – A professional will already have the tools and know-how to get the job done, whereas you may need to pop down to Bunnings for a new tool or materials, which will add to your costs.
- Saves frustration – DIY projects often seem like fun in theory, but anyone who’s been there when things go awry know it can test even the most patient soul and the closest relationships.
- Prevent injury – Keep in mind how big a carport is and how severe the results of an accident could be. If you’re not experienced with these bigger projects or with using tools, you could be putting yourself and whoever’s helping you in danger.
- Peace of mind – If you hire a trusted contractor, you can be sure that you’ll end up with a quality product at the end of the build. Whereas if you build it, there’s a chance you’ll make a mistake, and the carport could be a hazard in bad weather. Professional builders will be aware of any legislations and regulations to consider.
- Might save you money – If everything goes smoothly, you could save a bit of money building a carport yourself. However, if you make a mistake, it’ll take money to fix. If things really don’t go to plan, you may have to hire a professional to finish the job for you.
A carport is a fantastic investment that will protect your vehicle from the elements. However, installing a carport is a big DIY job and for many people, hiring a professional is the simpler choice. Our team at Correct Constructions have the expertise and skills to help create the perfect carport for you.
Not only will you save time, but you’ll have peace of mind of having a professionally built product that will be durable, reliable, and stylish.
Our professional crew can design your carport to suit your vehicle, the area you live in and any individual needs you have.
Correct Constructions’ custom carports can be made to perfectly match your home, so it’ll fit in seamlessly.
Locally owned and operated, we have been providing carport solutions to Sydney locals for over 25 years.